This is a guide to all our pages of mosaic artwork and instructions, most of which address specific aspects of the process: finding patterns, grouting, cutting tile, etc. Note that it doesn’t yet include all the articles in our How To Mosaic blog, which covers all sorts of questions, and so if you can’t find what you need on this page, please check the blog.
If you’re new to mosaic art you can get acquainted with the process with our instructions for beginners. The rest of the material below is intended to help you learn about more specific topics and techniques in greater depth.
If you prefer to learn by getting your hands dirty with guided instruction, we have a listing of mosaic art classes where you can find a local mosaic instructor who is teaching classes.
Examples of Different Kinds of Mosaic Art
- Glass Mosaic Tile Art: Examples of customer artwork made with glass mosaic tile.
- Mosaic Fireplace: How to make mosaic fireplace surrounds with examples.
- Mosaic Art Openings: Shows by mosaic artists at fine art gallery.
- Mosaic as a Fine Art: Some thoughts about why mosaic is under-represented as a fine art, particularly in North America.
How To Mosaic and Mosaic Instructions
Choosing Your Project
- Getting Started
- Mosaic FAQs: Frequently asked questions about mosaic art.
- Mosaic Patterns: How to find mosaic patterns.
- Mosaic Art Project Ideas: Trivets, mirrors, plaques, ornaments and other mosaic projects.
- Indoors or Outdoors?
- Ideal Mosaic Surfaces: What kind of surface should I use?
- Strong Mosaic Backer: Learn to make a strong backer for wall-mounted mosaic art.
- Outdoor Mosaics: How to make durable outdoor mosaic art.
- Outdoor Mosaic Art Project: A case study with WIP photos.
- Mosaic Sculptures: How to make a found-object sculpture.
- Concrete Sculptures: How to make a concrete mosaic base.
Making Your Mosaic
- Getting The Right Tools and Materials
- Tile Estimator: Use this to ensure you get the right amount of tile.
- Mosaic Tools and Supplies: Tool and supply overview.
- Mosaic Glues: Choose the right kind of adhesive for your project.
- Let’s Make a Mosaic
- Fiberglass Mesh: How to use fiberglass mesh for installations.
- How To Grout Mosaics: Choosing grout and grouting your mosaic.
- How to use Thinset: Using thinset mortar for detailed mosaic art.
- Mosaic Mailboxes: How to mosaic your mailbox.
- Aluminum Frames: How to make a nice frame.
Finding and Buying Mosaic Supplies
- Recycled Mosaic Art: How to find and used re-purposed and recycled mosaic materials in a responsible way.
- Cheap Mosaic Tile: This lists sources of improvised mosaic tile and explains why vitreous glass tile is the best value for mosaic art.
- Millefiori: An explanation of how Millefiori is made and how it can be used in mosaic art.
- Glass Gems and Marbles: Information about the different types of glass gems and glass marbles.
- Free Shipping Mosaic Tile: An explanation why no one truly offers free shipping without inflating their prices and why Flat-Rate Priority Mail is the best value for shipping heavy items like mosaic tile.
Pages Joe is Updating
- Children’s Mosaic Crafts: How to make camp or school mosaics for children easy.
- Grout Problems: How to fix or avoid common problems with grouting.
- Money Orders: How to pay via Money Order.
- Illustrated Mosaic Books: A review of some books about mosaic art.
- Loose Glass Mosaic Tile: Some of our product lines come as bags full of loose tile for rapid installation.
- Mosaic Art Openings: Upcoming and past mosaic exhibits.
- Mosaic Tile Gifts: Gift ideas for the mosaic artist in your life.
- Mosaic Tool and Supply Info: Information about the most commonly used tools and supplies.
- Paper versus Mesh mounted tile: Information about paper and mesh mounted tiles.
- Visual Product Line Navigation: Browse our catalogue by picture.
- Illustrated Mosaic Books: How-to instructional books with inspiring pictures of contemporary mosaic art.